Dayboro area was originally referred to as the Upper North Pine
district and the early settlers were mainly farmers, timber getters
and bullockies. In 1866 John McKenzie became the first permanent
resident and the area where he lived was known as Fishery Pocket.
It was also known as Hellhole as the bullockies found the river
crossing there very difficult. The township was known as Hamilton
from 1875 when the first mail service was established. In 1892
the name was changed to Terrors Creek as the area where the town
now stands was called Terrors Paddock after an Arab stallion named
Terah. In 1917 the name was changed to Dayboro after William Henry
Day who leased the town land for a sugar plantation in 1867. As
settlers moved in various localities were also named and a thriving
community developed centered on the town.