DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY INC.
27 Williams Street,
aims are to collect, collate and preserve articles, photographs
and information relating to the Dayboro district.
Our town has had 3 official names and a number of unofficial
names. Originally the region was referred as Upper North Pine,
North Pine later becoming known as Petrie. In 1875, the first
mail service came to the district and Mr. Hugh Hamilton, a local
farmer, was appointed receiving officer. In 1878 Hamilton's
mail service was elevated to Unofficial Post Office status and
Mrs. Catherine Hamilton, widow of Hugh Hamilton, was appointed
first Post Mistress. She married William Brundrit, the local
schoolteacher in 1879, and in 1880 the Post Office became known
as Hamilton. The name was changed to Terrors Creek in 1892 after
the creek which bordered the town. In 1917 the name was again
changed as the Postmaster-General maintained there was confusion
between Terrors Creek and Torrens Creek. The name chosen was
Dayboro in honour of William Henry Day, Clerk of Petty Sessions
and later Police Magistrate in Brisbane, who, in 1867, had leased
Portion 1 Parish of Samsonvale on which the majority of the
town now stands, and established a sugar plantation and later
a sugar mill.
Present localities near Dayboro are Mt. Pleasant, Laceys Creek,
King Scrub, Ocean View, Rush Creek, Armstrong Creek, Kobble
Creek and Samsonvale.
If you have any Dayboro connections, we would love to hear from
2017 PHOTO of the WEEK
DAYBORO CELEBRATES 150 YEARS
Cottage” is open from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. 7 days a
week and is the Visitor Information Centre
for the Dayboro District
Click here for things to see, things to do, where to eat and where to stay in the Dayboro area.